Pelican Point gets its name because of the pelicans and other wading birds common in this area.
A Mr. Ehret built a small breakwater, a lookout, a detached pump house and bathroom and sheds for boats, fodder and stock.
Along this coastline, flints were collected for the Cape Banks Company Ltd. In September 1894, the iron ship "Aeolus" went ashore not far out from Pelican Point. On first view of the wreck from the coast, she stood tall, sails all standing, even though fatally damaged below water line. All on board got to shore safely.