You are here: Your Council > Committees > Environment
In 1997 initial steps were taken by Council to form a Native Vegetation Committee when areas of sensitive Native Vegetation were identified on several roadsides in the Council area. It was subsequently agreed to expand the role of such a Committee to include matters such as coastal management, erosion, re-vegetation, access tracks and other environmental issues.
Following an advertisement placed by Council, a number of interested persons attended a Public Meeting in November 1997. As a result, the Grant Community Environment Committee was established on 1st December 1997. This Committee is an Advisory Committee to Council.
The aims and goals of the Committee are:
- To liaise with the District Council of Grant in preparing and working with an Environmental Management Plan to address environmental issues within the Council area.
- To promote and encourage community interest and involvement in sustainable management practices.
- To be an avenue for the public to raise and highlight environmental issues.
- To facilitate cooperation among the various statutory bodies, community groups and land holders whose activities impact on the area covered by the District Council of Grant.
- To seek funding for projects specifically designed to achieve the functions and aims of the Environmental Management Plan and the Committee.
- To use any finance procured by the Committee for the purpose of:
i) improving, maintaining and enhancing the environment within the District Council of Grant, subject to approval of the Council, and
ii) further advancing the knowledge and general awareness of the public on environmental matters.
The Committee currently meets bi-monthly. Any member of the public with a genuine interest in the environment may become a member of the Committee, entitling them to attend and vote at meetings, and to be placed on the mailing list to be kept up to date with Committee activities and other matters of interest.
Persons interested in the Committee may contact the Committee Secretary, Rod Storan, C/- District Council of Grant, PO Box 724, Mount Gambier SA 5290.
Please find listed below some links to other relevant websites for further information:
Environment Committee Terms of Reference - reviewed 22nd January 2007
Terms of Reference (64 kb)
2013 Meeting Dates