District Council of Grant

You are here:  Home > Our Services > Roads, Footpaths & Infrastructure > Rural Property Addressing

Rural Property Addressing

In June 2008, the State Government and Local Government Association announced the introduction of a new distance-based numbering system for rural properties across South Australia.  The new Rural Property Addressing (RPA) system allows emergency services, delivery drivers and visitors to easily find the entrance to a property.

This system has the support of the Country Fire Service, State Emergency Service, SA Police, SA Ambulance Service, community groups and essential service providers. 


The new number is the distance in metres from the start of the road to your entrance, divided by 10.  Odd numbers are on the left hand side of the road and even numbers are on the right hand side.  For example, if your address is 81 Airport Road, your entrance is 810 metres (0.81 kilometres) from the start of Airport Road and is on the left hand side.


Property owners were advised of their RPA number in March 2011 and Council has completed the installation of signage for all occupied properties.  In the event that other properties on your road have received a sign but you have not, please contact Council on 8721 0444 at your earliest convenience.


Property owners are advised that occupied properties provided with an RPA number are required under the Local Government Act to display this address in the format provided by Council.   It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that the RPA sign is displayed in the correct location and in the correct format at all times.  In the event that a sign needs replacing, property owners are to contact Council to order a replacement sign as soon as possible.


During the introduction period of the new RPA system, Council supplied and installed signs free of charge to all occupied rural property owners.  All new and replacement signs required after the introduction period will continue to be supplied and installed by Council, however they will be at the cost of the individual property owner, with payment required at the time of ordering.


For new dwellings/buildings which have not previously been issued an RPA number, a fee will be payable at the time of lodgement of the Development Application for supply and installation of a sign.


If you have any concerns or queries in relation to the installation of your new sign, please contact Council on 8721 0444.





Services Guide