Food Premises & Food Safety

Food Businesses

All businesses selling food are required to "notify" their local Council regardless of whether the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only.  Under the Food Act 2001, a food business means a business, enterprise or activity (other than a primary food production business) that involves:

  • the handling of food intended for sale; or
  • the sale of food

In addition, Food business even includes businesses like chemists, cinemas, delicatessen, canteens, childcare centres, liquor stores, video stores, petrol stations and swimming pools, if they sell packaged or any other type of food.  Food businesses, from major food manufacturers to the local church group or sporting club that holds a once per year food fair, have defined responsibilities under the legislation to ensure the safety of food.

Mobile food businesses will notify the Council in which the vehicle is normally garaged.

How does a food business notify? - Food Business Notification

All Businesses are required under Section 86 of the Food Act 2001, go to Forms - Food Businesses for the Food Business NotificationForm (FBN Form).   There is no fee attached to this, but there is a legal obligation to complete one.   The FBN form should be submitted to Council or filled out on line.  These must be submitted before you commence trading in accordance with Food Safety Standard 3.2.2 Division 2 Clause 4.  Also, if any details change, for example a new proprietor, or change of location; you must notify Council within 14 days.

Please contact Council's Development and Environmental Services team on 08 8721 0444 for any further advice on completing the FBN Form.

Temporary Food Business

Sausage Sizzles, Market Stalls & Charitable fundraising events that may only be a once off operation can complete a Temporary Food Notification form which can be found at Forms - Food Businesses

If you are wishing to sell food to the public it is essential to complete a Temporary Food Business Notification Form and adhere to the guidelines for a temporary food premises by:

  • ensuring food is handled appropriately
  • ensuring the operator complies with the relevant legislation

Consideration should also be made when operating a stall to the following;

  • Proprietors should maintain a list of where foods are made, or supplied
  • Temperature controls for high risk foods
  • Suitable display of food with requirements of Food Safety Standards
  • Hand washing facilities

Guideline for Temporary Food Stalls

Food Safety

Council’s Environmental Health Officer is responsible for ensuring that food businesses, community groups and temporary food operators within the region operate within the appropriate food safety standards.  This is accomplished by offering the following;

  • conducting routine inspections
  • conducting audits of Food Safety Plans
  • investigating food complaints and food poisoning incidents
  • educational presentations
  • distributing SA Food Handler Updates
  • notification and follow up of food recalls

Council's Environmental Health Officer may be required on occasion to investigate cases of food related illness where the ill person usually blames meals or take away foods.  While commercially produced food can be the cause of illness, investigation reveals that poor food handling practices at home is often a significant factor.

Food Safety and Hygiene concerns are those that are considered to be breaching the provisions of Food Safety regulations and acts.  Hygiene concerns can include the following:

  • Manufacture and or sale of unsafe or unsuitable it food, which could include
  • Food poisoning or illness
  • Food contaminated with foreign matter
  • Food contaminated with animals or insects
  • Food spoilage
  • Unhygienic or unclean premises
  • Unhygienic or unsafe food handling practices
  • Unhygienic or unsafe food storage practices

All food operators must comply with the relevant legislative requirements. Links are listed below.

Food Act & Regulations

National Food Safety Standards

Food Standards Code

Should you think you have food poisoning, seek medical help immediately.  The doctor will require a stool sample (faecal sample) to confirm that you have food poisoning.